Without your participation and support, Sheldrake cannot fulfill its commitment to help families learn about and protect the significant natural resources here.
The annual cost to provide our breadth of programming is over $100,000. Your donation will have an immediate impact, felt by people in your local community as we continue to work to provide virtual programming, private, socially distanced guided nature walks and community education both in-person and virtually through our You Tube channel. Our property remains open for visitors and has been a sanctuary for many to escape these times and find a meaningful connection with nature or fun escape for their families. As a small, non-profit organization, we depend on fundraising and program fees for nearly 90% of our financial resources.
It’s the support of friends like you that allows us to continue being a vibrant educational resource for the local communities of lower Westchester and to keep our doors open through these trying times.
Quick facts about what we have done lately…
- We have taught over 2,000 hours of nature education, delivering more than 450 classes.
- We have pivoted in response to COVID-19 to develop virtual nature programs for schools, scouts, toddlers, and preschoolers.
- We offer free nature and STEM education programs for families throughout the year.
- Introduced 400 pre-school children to the natural world through our Pod, Young Explorers, Nature Bugs, June Mini-Camp and Toddler Time programs.
- Launched an ongoing Meadow Restoration Project.
- Revitalized the Community Garden to provide learning opportunities for children and produce to community members in need.
- We have hosted Scout troops from various Westchester towns to help these do-gooders earn their badges in nature.
- We have started a wellness initiative that includes monthly mindful outdoor experiences, virtual book circles and weekend programs for adults and families and mindful-based retreats for community members.
- We provide free or low-cost nature programs for toddlers and their caregivers.
- We expanded our bilingual nature education to provide more learning opportunities.
- We expanded our pre-school offerings for children including Young Explorers and Nature Bugs.
- A team of 20 naturalists and our Director of Education deliver all of our programs. Your support enables these knowledgeable naturalists to continue to be a resource for the community and local area school children.
How your donations will help…
- $100 will help us provide virtual content to local families.
- $200 will help us implement safety protocols to enable a return to in-person Stem-based programming.
- $400 will pay for a bus to bring our bilingual participants to the center for monthly programming.
- $500 will help continue our wellness initiatives, featuring walks, retreats, and mindful Saturdays.
- $1,000 will pay for a new environmental educator to receive training.
Your donation (of any size) is the key to delivering on our mission of sparking a lifelong love of nature in the children and families of our community.
Our fiscal year closes June 30, please make an end of year gift to help us continue to bring vital nature education and family programming to the community.
Corporate Matching Funds
If your employer matches donations, this is an easy way to double the impact of your contribution. If you are unsure whether your company matches, please contact your Human Resource Department.
give the gift of nature
to a loved one
- Customized Nature Programming for Children
- 1 Week of Preschool Nature Camp
Guided Mindfulness Experience
- 1 Year of Sheldrake Membership
- Registration in Specialty Programs, including our Fairy House and Holiday themed programs
- Private Nature Walks
Another way to make a lasting contribution…
You have supported Sheldrake Environmental Center during your lifetime. You believe in our mission and understand that we will continue to make a positive difference in our community far into the future. How can you provide for our future support?
Include a charitable bequest in your will or revocable trust. You can remember Sheldrake by using the following language: “I bequeath to Sheldrake Environmental Center, Inc. a not-for-profit corporation located at 685 Weaver Street, Larchmont, NY 10538, ___% of my residuary estate (or $___) for its general purposes.”
A bequest is easy to arrange. It is not payable until death, so it does not affect your assets or cash flow during your lifetime. It is private – your will is not filed or made public until your death. It is revocable – you can change the provisions in your will or trust at any time until death. If you have decided to include Sheldrake in your will, please let us know so that we can thank you properly!